The North American Montessori Teachers Association (NAMTA) is a membership organization and AMI affiliate founded in 1970 promoting Montessori in North America. NAMTA offers numerous events and services, including:
- Several national professional development events annually, featuring prominent keynote speakers from outside Montessori as well as Montessori leaders and AMI trainers.
- The NAMTA Journal, a Montessori teachers’ professional journal, published three times a year.
- The NAMTA Directory, published annually, including individual members, schools, AMI training centers, and more.
- Print, DVD, and video publications over a wide range of topics, including Montessori’s published works.
- School listings, job listings, and administrative support.
In addition, NAMTA has organized and developed several Montessori projects:
- The AMI Montessori Orientation to Adolescent Studies, the only AMI recognized preparation for work with adolescents in a Montessori context. The orientation is presented annually for five weeks over the summer, with additional seminar sessions scheduled throughout the year.
- The Montessori Institute for the Science of Peace, a new program for implementing peace education on a whole-school basis.